Look closer. Think harder. Choose the sound argument over the clever one.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Todd Agnew's My Jesus

I love Todd Agnew's music. I love his voice.

I love his lyrics...mostly.

In his song, My Jesus, I appreciate his challenging my image of Jesus.

But I kind of have a problem with this:

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet

I'd like to ask his church's leaders if they'd agree with that.

Or maybe he's talking about "my church" as in, you know, my church, not his church. But that means he's asserting things about a church he doesn't know. Seems pretty unfair.

A lot of churches need reproof for a lot of things, mine included. But reproof is specific and constructive, not assertions like this. This seems more like a cheap-shot than a reproof.

I want--need--to have my conscience pricked. But I don't think church-bashing is the way to do it.

Hopefully, everybody but me just goes away thinking, "Jesus matters more than my church's (or my) carpet." (He does matter more.)


Comments:

(Please keep in mind that each commenter's opinions are only his/her own.)



Have you ever considered that the meaning of those words, "The blood and dirt on his feet might stain the carpet," might refer to more than the obvious?

When you look around your church, how many poor people do you see? How many alcoholics or prostitutes or homeless people attend your church? Perhaps the image of Jesus not being accepted in "my church" goes beyond a literal visit of Jesus in our sanctuaries to those people around us in our communities, the "least of these," who do not feel welcomed or comfortable in most churches among the attractive, well-dressed people who look like their lives are all together.

I know Todd's heartbeat in writing this song was not to be critical, but to awaken the body of Christ to reach out to those who are hurting --to be like Jesus. Sadly, many churches find it too much trouble, too costly, and too risky to get involved in the messy lives of hurting people.

Next time you are in your church, look around. What do you see?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?