Look closer. Think harder. Choose the sound argument over the clever one.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

GiveABetterWay.org

I saw this on a bus-stop brochure in Denver. It got my attention. Their web-site is GiveABetterWay.org.

Hats off to these folks, trying to make a real difference.

When I first came to Chicago, I was out and about more often, and approached by panhandlers. I had a little time on my hands, so I tried to verify the stories I was told.

"My car broke down a couple blocks over: could I get a couple bucks for gas?"

"Ok! Let's go get some gas and put it in. Where is it?"

"Well, it's, um, COME ON, MAN! Just a couple bucks!"

Every single one lied to me. Maybe a dozen or so of these situations aren't statistically significant. But organizations like this (and Evanston's) show the same trend.

I'm convinced that knowledge is power. One corollary: informed compassion is more effective than uninformed compassion, and therefore more compassionate.


Comments:

(Please keep in mind that each commenter's opinions are only his/her own.)



yeah, I don't feel sorry for people in London. In India it was a different story though.
 


it looks like a nice idea,
the web site is defunct.
How do you know WHERE
the money goes...?
 


Thanks for the comment!

Here's a snapshot of the now-defunct site:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080304144823/http://www.giveabetterway.org/. It makes reference to http://denversroadhome.org/

You say: How do you know WHERE
the money goes...?
My point exactly: where does the money go when you put it in a panhandler's hand?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?